What is Eyelid Surgery or Blepharoplasty?
Blepharoplasty, or ‘eyelid reduction’ or ‘eyebag removal’, is one of the five most common cosmetic surgery procedures.
As we age the skin around our eyes starts to lose its elasticity and our muscles relax. This causes both the upper and lower eyelids to sag, and it is not uncommon for eyebags to develop and our eyelids to start to droop.
It is important to know that it won’t correct crow’s feet or other wrinkles, eliminate dark circles under your eyes.
Blepharoplasty involves the removal of loose skin and excess fatty tissues around the eye area, tightening the relaxed muscles and giving the skin a firmer, more youthful appearance.
Who can benefit?
Blepharoplasty is a short and highly effective procedure that can achieve immediate changes with very little downtime, and the treatment can deliver both an improved physical and psychological sense of wellbeing.
If you are considering eyelid surgery, you may fall into one or more the following categories.
- Puffy areas or “bags” under the eyes
- Excessive skin or sagging of your upper eyelids
- Excessive skin on your lower eyelids
- Loss of your natural upper eyelid crease
Who is a good candidate for Eyelid Surgery ( Blepharoplasty)?
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Fatih Irmak considers individuals fit for the procedure, if all of the following are true of them:
- Physically and psychologically fit and healthy
- Bothered by the appearance or by signs of ageing in the eye area of the face
- Have realistic expectations of what can be achieved by surgery
An ideal candidate for an eyelid lift is someone in general good health, who has realistic expectations about the procedure, and who has one or more of the characteristics written above. Most candidates are 35 years of age or older, but if your droopy eyelids are an inherited condition you may decide to have the surgery at a younger age.
Where does Dr. Fatih Irmak perform this procedure?
Dr. Fatih Irmak performs procedures at an international accredited hospital facility and state of the art surgical center equipped with the most advanced technologies available, on an outpatient basis.
What type of anesthesia is used for blepharoplasty?
Eyelid surgery is typically performed with the patient under intravenous sedation, but general anesthesia may be used depending on the patient’s health condition and preferences.
How long does eyelid surgery take?
The procedure generally takes 1 to 3 hours to complete depending on how extensive it is.
What to expect after eyelid surgery?
|Watch TV or Read||2 to 3 Days After Surgery|
|Wear Makeup Around the Eyes||7 to 10 Days After Surgery|
|Stitches Removed||2 to 7 Days After Surgery|
|Back to Work or School||7 to 10 Days After Surgery|
|Driving||As Soon as You Feel Comfortable|
|Wear Contact Lenses||2 to 3 Weeks After Surgery|
|Strenuous Activity||3 Weeks After Surgery|
|Fading of Scars||Several Months to 1 Year|
Things To Be Aware Of After Your Ear Surgery
- It is normal to experience blurry or double vision for a few days after your eyelid procedure.
After surgery, some people have minor trouble closing their eyes to sleep.
The nerves of the lower eyelid may be temporarily affected by the surgery, causing sagging of the margin of the eyelid. This condition usually corrects itself within a few days or weeks. Upward massage and support of the eyelid itself with tape can help the healing process.
For international patients
- If you are coming to Istanbul for eyelid reduction procedure it is strongly recommended having companion.
- After the surgery; 7 days stay would be enough for post consultations.
- 24 hours after the procedure if you feel comfortable you may take your time in Istanbul.
- Please book your hotel at least 5 days before the procedure day.
- Please be sure that your country nationalities are not obligated for Turkish visa. (EU, most of middle eastern country nationalities has no need for visa)