What is Ear Reshaping Surgery ?
Ear reshaping, ear pinning also known as otoplasty, is usually performed to set prominent ears back closer to the head or to reduce the size of large ears or earlobes.
Both men and women suffer from oversized or prominent ears which can be the source of great stress and social embarrassment. This condition known as prominent ears, can affect about 5% of the entire population.
But ofcourse, there is a surgical solution to this condition which is called otoplasty or commonly known as ear pinning.
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Fatih Irmak can review your unique anatomy and develop a surgical plan based on your needs and desires during your consultation.
Also in most cases, the surgery is performed on children between the ages of four and fourteen. Teasing caused by large ears can have an adverse impact on the psyche of young children. Otoplasty is recommended for children before they enter school to avoid unnecessary harassment and teasing.
So if you are a parent it is very usuall and better way to have your beloved ones ear surgery if there is a probability of having a social embarrassment or stress during their adolescent ages.
Who Can Benefit?
The ideal candidate for otoplasty surgery is a healthy child between the ages of four and fourteen or an adult in good health also has one or more of the following characteristics:
- Ears that protrude too far from the head
- Ears that are too large and out of proportion to the head
- Overly large earlobes
Before & The Day of Ear Surgery
Where does Dr. Fatih Irmak perform this procedure?
Dr. Fatih Irmak performs otoplasty procedures at an international accredited hospital facility on an outpatient basis.
What type of anesthesia is used for ear reshaping (otoplasty) surgery?
The procedure is typically performed under general anesthesia (asleep) also can be done under local anesthesia with sedation in select cases. For small children, we usually use general anesthesia. For older children and adults, a combination of local anesthesia and sedation is used.
How long does otoplasty surgery take?
The otoplasty surgery usually takes between one to three hours to complete when both ears are being reshaped.
What to expect after ear surgery ?
|Stitches Removed||A Week After Surgery|
|Back to Work or School||Within a Week After Surgery|
|Activities That May Affect the Ears||Six Weeks After Surgery|
|Strenuous Activity||Four Weeks After Surgery|
|Fading of Scars||Several Months to One Year|
Things To Be Aware Of After Your Ear Surgery
- The dressings placed over your ears must be worn at all times for the first few days after surgery. A soft headband must be worn over your ears whenever you sleep for the first four to six weeks after your surgery.
- The scars caused by the incision should be protected from sunlight for at least a year after surgery.
- Don’t expect both ears to match exactly – perfect symmetry . It is unnatural.
For international patients
- If you are coming to Istanbul for ear surgery (otoplasty) procedure it is strongly recommended having companion.
- After the surgery; 7 days stay would be enough for post consultations.
- 24 hours after the procedure if you feel comfortable you may take your time in Istanbul.
- Please book your hotel at least 5 days before the procedure day.
- Please be sure that your country nationalities are not obligated for Turkish visa. (EU, most of middle eastern country nationalities has no need for visa)